You sigh with relief--finally the errors and omissions of mainstream media are coming to the fore. Finally, Jefferson’s cherished power of the press is booming forth to save the nation in its 11th hour of distress.
It had to happen. The forth estate finally redeemed. The Constitution is alive and well.
Reticence of Mainstream Media Becomes a Story Itself
- Wall Street’s fraudulent loans to ruinously insolvent home-buyers,
- back-room energy policy defined by energy companies,
- lawless mercenaries shooting up New Orleans and Iraq with equal impunity,
- Michael Chertoff clueless about the inner workings of homeland security,
- the FBI’s Mueller tapping his way into private phones without legal approval,
- Dick Cheney’s lying and getting away with it,
- David Addington’s destruction of the Constitution
- and Roberto Gonzales’ wreckage of something so simply and accurately named the Justice Department.
The mea culpa that American media ‘fesses up to is John Edwards’ back-alley affair. That, it seems, is what’s wrong with media.
That’s the rare (yet becoming less rare every day) story of media falling short of expectation. The problem is not with media. The problem is with expectation.
Thomas Jefferson and the country actually had some.